Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Jersey dreamin!

With lots of long runs on my training schedule I have been looking for some good races to help me get in the mileage this winter and spring. Not knowing where work travel may lead me (Bulgaria in February!?! 90% chance) I can't really commit solidly to anything. I am hoping my first race of 2012 will be in NEW JERSEY. Yes, you heard me correctly. I am heading back to PA to visit my family and while I am there I am going to sneak away for a bit to run the Febapple Frozen Fifty.

The Febapple Frozen Fifty is Feb 25 in New Jersey, awesome, right?! The Febapple looks like a figure eight from the start/finish with mostly trails and fire road. As for elevation the site says: “Good combination of level patches, rolling hills, moderate climbs, and a few very steep ascents and descents” I have no idea what that means for NJ and with no elevation gain/loss figures I will just have to wait and find out. The race looks super small and I imagine not many people have this as a destination race, but hey, who doesn't love NJ in the winter!

The next day I am hoping to do another event with my sister called the Ugly Mudder 7 Mile Trail Run, in Reading, PA. The appealing thing about this race is that the race director(s) has(have) an awesome sense of humor. From the race website: “It is not Boston nor the Olympics or even a line item on a bucket list of someone who desperately needs to get a life. It is, instead, a wonderful regional trail event thru whatever winter conditions cover the mountain overlooking the onetime Factory Outlet Capital of the World. It is an assortment of rustic trails covered by dirt & debris, rocks & roots, deer pellets & discarded undergarments, somewhat unique aide stations & fare, with constant undulation throughout, but nothing that requires a Sherpa.” It goes on to say, "This medium challenge race attracts 600-800 crazies a year, and for good reason; what else are you going to do in Reading in late Feb now that Bingo games here have gone "smokeless".

Bring on the fun, east coast style!

No comments:

Post a Comment