Thursday, January 12, 2012

BAM!

And she's down! Funny to go from absolute runner's high to crumpled ball of tears on the ground in less than half a second. But just one day after writing about my favorite fancy new wonderful light, I go out for an easy run with no headlamp at 5:00am and exactly at the furthest point I will be from home I hit what feels like a trip wire and I go down hard. No hands out to brace me, nothing but net. Well okay, nothing but right elbow, ribs and thigh. I feel like I even skipped a bit like a stone on a pond but that may have just been my imagination. So I fell, shed a few tears (okay, they were giant tears with no air- that was knocked out of me, so I imagine I had that face little kids make when they aren't sure whether it hurts or not but when their parent looks at them they explode in a screaming teary mess) but then I got up and went back to look for the trip wire in the road. See below...

Me and my wire ring of pain. (I am trying to make a mad face but I am not so good at it!)

So I find the wire ring of pain on the road. Could it be that I stepped on one side of the ring and then caught the other side with my toe on the other foot? That seems like something that would only happen in a cartoon with Roadrunner. What are the chances of that? I probably couldn't land like that if I tried it in the light. So I did what any logical, teary runner would do, I picked it up, slung it over my head and started running slowly home. It turned out no major damage, just a few spots of road rash and a super sore elbow. The other bright spot... I now have a nice wire ring to make a mobile of all the great and not so great things I met on my journey to running 100 miles. I am going to start combing the road for some great things now that I will always be wearing a light!

No comments:

Post a Comment