Sunday, September 4, 2011

What a Surprise!

A shirt we saw in Vail after day 5. Us going into TransRockies? Nah!

Hey there, Dana here. I can't believe it has been so long since TransRockies and I haven't posted a thing. Sam did a great job posting the highlights which I share so I will post the surprises, at least surprises to me.

1. We were racing. Yes, I know we signed up for this thing and knew the whole time it was a race. Thing was, I thought it would be a race against the race, against the elevation, against the distance and it truly was all that. BUT! It was also a race against other teams that seemed to be nearby all the time. To put it in perspective, Sam and I had a total run time of 28 hours and 19 minutes. That put us in 6th place. 10th place was only 30 minutes back at 28:48. That means there were 5 places within 30 minutes of each other or just 5 minutes per day. To be more specific most days on the uphills the order of the racers was Sam, all our competitors, me at the bottom, the caboose. Luckily I could cruise the downhills.

2. Sam is an animal. Okay this is actually not surprising, at all. In fact, if you know her you know what an amazing athlete she is but seriously she went to the next level on this race and pushed through blisters and feet that look like she was in the civil war. We also got along insanely well, again, not a surprise that we would get a long but we did FANTASTIC. (She did ask me to marry her in a fit of happiness upon seeing our hotel room on the last day, don't worry gents, Sam is still on the market).
Goofing off post-race.

3. That was luxury. I never felt like I was roughing it at all. The food was amazing. The tents, the help, the people, the support. I can't say enough amazing things about how well organized this race was.

4. Getting back to real life is hard. I am glad to have a race coming up as I definitely need something to focus on. Getting back to working out was fine. Going to work brought me almost instantly to tears as it is about as opposite as you can go from a week running in Colorado to email,desk,work, UGH. Anyone want to pay me to have fun sporting adventures for them? Happy to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment