Wednesday, November 2, 2011

For the love of running

My nephew Austin, the youngest runner I know
You know that person that runs really fast then stops and turns to look at you with a grin before running fast ahead again, legs scrambling, arms flying, shrieks of laughter emanating as you yourself start laughing and almost want to stop because it's too hard to breathe and laugh?

That's a kid. (But it could also be a few trail running friends I know.) It's just the pure delight in realizing what your legs can do; that chemical endorphin that washes over you when you run, feeling your heartbeat and the wind rush across your face.

With San Francisco unveiling the red carpet of an exceptional, if long overdue, indian summer these past few weeks it's the feeling I've had every time I go out to run. Without any training agenda it's the reason I run. It's the reason I love to run. And it's the reason I can never understand the person who says they don't like running. Not the person who can't run or doesn't have time or prefers other things, but the person who just can't stand to run. Find your inner child, people. Or better yet, find a kid who will run with you. Find the love. Or just the like.

Find your inner Phoebe from Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment