Monday, August 8, 2011

Help Wanted: Perfect Running Skirt

Dana wearing her favorite running skirt in South Africa.

Hi all, Dana here. I have the perfect running skirt and it makes me cry just thinking about it. I remember getting the tip about this skirt. I was running a 30k and a woman I was running with told me about it. I noticed it was cute and she gushed and gushed. I particularly remember her saying, "it doesn't move". I had no idea at the time that not moving is the key to this running skirt. The skirt stays put as do the things I stash in the pockets. The reason I am crying is that the company, Atalanta Athleticwear, went out of business and my skirts (I have 2) won't last forever. What's a girl to do? I have shopped running stores, athletic shops, online, thrift stores, e-bay, you name it. Nothing I have substituted even comes close.

To ease my pain I am putting this challenge out to the world. Make me a perfect running skirt and I will make the world a better place. I will cover lots of ground sharing smiles, laughs, GUs, miles, advice and of course, letting everyone know that there is a running skirt that doesn't bunch, chafe, ride up, dump your pockets, fall down, give you a wedgie or look ugly.

Dana expressing excitement to Yi about a possible perfect running skirt!

To ease my pain further I have given one of the 2 perfect skirts I have to Yi who works at Athleta for inspiration. Maybe they will make one just like it and call it the "mascara". Athleta- may you find inspiration in this skirt. You make totally adorable skirts now, I can't run in them for more than 3 steps as the short shorts underneath cause chafing before I leave the dressing room but you have the style part down. To help you see why my running skirt is so great I have some highlights below:
1) You put this skirt on and there it stays. Like static cling but not in the bad sense! The fabric is heavy enough and stretches/fits in a way that once it is on it doesn't creep up or down it just stays. This means more running less fiddling and more soft skin less chafing. I have run in this thing for 10 hours straight with no problems.
2) The pockets. Don't put the pocket on the leg of the skirt under the skirt part. That is hard to reach, uncomfortable, and it is complicated to go to the bathroom as I do often on a run. Pants go down, headphones pop out, risk your iPod falling into the toilet. The Atlanta pockets are on the outside of the skirt at the sides where it is natural to reach. They literally hold everything still. Keys, one key, iPod, tissue, candy, trash, you name it. I have never lost something from these pockets and I have pulled this skirt up and down hundreds of times. I have lost items from the little side pockets under skirts on the shorts though and somewhere there is a lucky animal with some money getting a latte.
3) The fit of the skirt is straight with no flair out. I think there is a perception that a running skirt may restrict movement so they are all flaring out and loose like you are about to hit the tennis court. No way, let Serena Williams wear those. I am short, the pencil skirt with no flare looks great so why not on my running skirt too. It doesn't restrict movement since it is both short enough and stretchy enough. Dare to go straight down! Double dog dare you! I haven't seen others do it yet!
4) Legs as long as the skirt. Check out the inseams on the shorts. They are at least 3 inches long. They are short enough that they don't poke out of the skirt but cover the length of it fully. No thighs rubbing is a great thing. No riding up is another great thing. I have not found legs extending as long as the skirt in any running skirt as most have very short shorts underneath which just don't cut it.
5) Simple fabric that has nothing extra, nothing swishy, no gimmicks, just plain awesome. (Okay, I really only have 4 things but felt like 5 things would make a stronger argument.)

Just as a side note: The skirt I gave Yi has red shorts. That is the only bad thing as they should have been black for my taste but I could not get any other color and when I heard of the pending business closure I took what I could get!

I am available for product testing, phone discussion of my running skirt disasters (of which I have many), lunch, a run or anything I can do to help you help me and the other hard core girls out there who love running, looking good and avoiding chafing! THANK YOU!

PS- I am not the only one who thought this skirt was the best of the best.
http://www.andherlittledogtoo.com/2010/04/skirt-goddess-love.html
http://www.fitsugar.com/Get-Your-Butt-Gear-Atalanta-Athleticwear-Commitment-Skirt-298467


2 comments:

  1. AMEN! I have two of these skirts as well and nothing compares to them. Have you found anything yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a size IV commitment on ebay right now.

    ReplyDelete