Monday, August 15, 2011

Salt Point 26k Trail Run

Taper is fun! Hi all, Dana here. Since I am tapering to be rested for TransRockies next week I have cut my weekly mileage in half. To keep up the intensity I signed up for the Pacific Coast Trail Run at Salt Point. Although a bit of a drive, it was totally worth it. First, Salt Point State Park is a great place! Check out the California coast in this picture- it can't be beat!

Post-race heading home down Highway 1.

The trails were runnable, on varied terrain and provided some great vistas. Doing the 26k or 16.6 miles by my Garmin was the best part as I could run "fast" or at least faster than the all day pace I normally do at races and I loved feeling reckless. I saw 8:20 pace on my watch multiple times and thought of my sister, Nora as we joke that our genetic top speed is 8:30 minute miles!
When I finished I made a resolution to include more shorter distance racing into my training as my competitive spirit is a good motivator for running faster than I would normally.

After the race I checked out the beach, walked meadow edges and stood in the glorious ocean breeze with my fabulous companion Chance. Although the park trails didn't allow dogs there were enough places for us to explore.

Chance is the king of the roadtrip.


No comments:

Post a Comment