Monday, August 15, 2011

The Perfect Playlist?

Dana's bringing her iPod to Colorado - for the downtime, for the times when we run out of things to talk about (hard to believe I know), for the times we might get separated or just need the extra pick-up.

Do I bring my full iPod with more music than I could ever want or do I make the perfect playlist on my little shuffle? Will I want more cerebral music when I'm feeling the surge of the mountains surround me? Some Armin Van Buuren and Thievery Corp? Or will I want balls out music on a descent - the kind you blast in a convertible headed for the Jersey shore on a hot summer day? AC/DC and Nine Inch Nails. Or will I want show tunes to sing along to and keep me distracted from whatever pain and suffering I might encounter? A Chorus Line, Rent? Or hip hop, and a head-bobbing beat to make me feel gangsta and empowered? Big El and Eminem? Or will I want those surprise gems of days past that always make me smile? Songs by Styx, REO Speedwagon and Hall and Oates. Or will I want whatever Dana's listening to, reaching a critical stage of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) wondering if what she's listening to will make her run faster than what I'm listening to?

It's a little overwhelming. It's what kept me from buying an iPod right away - all that music at the touch of my hand, trying to craft the perfect playlists from unlimited songs with titles I think might remind me of what I stash in them - Long Slow Run, Fast Run, Morning Run, Attitude Adjustment, Mountain Jams, City Tracks, Driving to Work, Driving Home.

I think I'll take the full iPod. What's a little more weight? Better to be overprepared than under. Show tunes alone on a grinding ascent above 10,000 feet on the fourth day might not cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment